In case you haven’t figured it out yet, I just got back from spending a few marvelous days at the beach on North Captiva Island. It was sunny. It was warm. There were dolphins. It was great.
The best part of being in weather like that is that even while the place you live is hanging out around 33 degrees, you can be drinking things meant for summer days like shandies, frozen cocktails, and spiked kombucha. And when you’ve ordered more than enough beer, booze, and wine for the week and you’re trying to finish it all by the time you leave, sometimes you have to get creative. This is when shandies happen. I highly recommend using Abita’s Purple Haze beer for this cocktail because it is, uh, the best.
Like beer, but boozier!
Berry ShandyBy Page & Plate, April 12, 2019
A raspberry lager joins forces with muddled blueberries and vodka to make your new favorite spring cocktail.
Makes: 2 glasses
- 1/2 cup of blueberries
- 1/2 cup of simple syrup
- 3 oz of vodka
- 1 cup(ish) of ice
- 16 oz of raspberry lager (my favorite is Abita's Purple Haze)
- In a medium to large pitcher, combine the blueberries and the simple syrup. Using a masher, uhm, mash the blueberries together in the syrup until mushy.
- Add the vodka to the pitcher and stir to combine, also known as stirring to mask the flavor of alcohol. Set aside for a moment.
- Split the ice (please don't measure this ice?) between two collins glasses.
- Top the ice with half of the blueberry / vodka / sugar mixture per glass. Stir.
- Split the lager between the two glasses, topping off until they foam to the top.
- Drink. Repeat. Drink.