Well, here we are in the future. (Hardy har har.) So far, it's pretty flipping cold here. Like, way, way colder than I expected it to be. Between getting off the train and walking in the door to my office this morning, I was almost really crying (not just wind in my eyes tears) from how cold it was, how sad I was that the holidays are over, and how happy I was to be going back to work. One of those things is a lie. Shh.
It was a bummer to be sick over the holiday, but it did give me a chance to rest up a bit and not drive myself to exhaustion. That being said, here's a comprehensive list of things I cooked, ate, and read over break, most of which, full disclosure, you will read about in upcoming posts:
- One metric ton of banana bread
- The most beautiful breads from Five Points
- The Reporter's Kitchen by Jane Kramer (a present from the every lovely Colin)
- A really boring grain bowl that I ate with my F.R.I.E.N.D.s because I was too sick to hang out with real people
- Alison Roman's chocolate chip shortbread cookies
- The Mark and the Void by Paul Murray (a work still in progress)
- Some bomb-ass sticky cinnamon rolls
- Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking by Samin Nosrat (just the introduction but I'm SUPER EXCITED to continue reading it; thank you parents)
- Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes (yet another work in progress to cure the winter blues)
I also got to spend some quality time with my favorite pup, Holly, pictured below after consuming five treats so she would stay, and my favorite families. Overall, it was a swell time. But, as white girls say in Instagrams featuring them getting wasted with their high school BFFs, BACK AT IT!